Competency is the required ability to execute a task to an expected standard. Competencies should be aligned with the organization’s business strategy and corporate values, reflecting the capabilities needed to achieve its desired outcomes. In today’s rapidly evolving digital world, it is critical that organizations build up competencies of the future to maintain a competitive edge. Examples of competencies of the future include: Resilience, Technological Adaptability, Sense-making and Negotiation skills.
Competency-profiling is the mechanism for identifying the key competencies needed to perform a job optimally so as to achieve the business goals. There are 2 main categories of competencies:
- Inter-functional competencies that cut across functions or are common to all jobs. They are linked to career progression and are developmental in nature.
- Functional competencies that are specific to the job. They are shorter in term and technical in nature.
Once developed, applications of Competencies include:
- Training & development – Determining individual/group competency gaps, identifying and evaluating training programs, and learning interventions.
- Recruitment selection – Formulating structured behavioural interview questions for assessment.
- Performance management – Evaluating job-related behaviours & providing targeted feedback.
- Promotion and placement – Identifying and promoting leaders, while ensuring job fit.
- Talent management – Identifying high potential staff and developing them in a systematic manner.
- We own a library of both inter-functional and functional competencies, with accompanying proficiency level descriptors for reference.
- We are able to define with clarity, job profiles and their measurable or observable behaviors, which can be progressively updated with new business requirements.
- Our Organizational Development expertise allows us to integrate the developed competencies into training and development, recruitment and selection, performance management, promotion and placement as well as talent management systems.