Nordic Flow Controls raises productivity
Established in 1998, Nordic Flow Control provides automation systems integration solutions, particularly for the marine and offshore oil and gas industries. To date, the company has provided consistent and reliable solutions to more than 1,000 vessels for more than 100 customers. Nordic also offers a full suite of safety-certified metal scaffolding services to companies in the aerospace, medical and electronic manufacturing services industries.
To maintain its strong productivity culture, Nordic is always looking out for ways to implement productivity initiatives within the company which also translates into tangible benefits that the firm can measure such as time and cost savings.
Enhancing Own Competencies
In November 2012, Nordic approached Capelle Consulting to develop a series of workshops in line with their efforts to maintain a strong productivity culture. The workshops included modules from the Employability Skills, Leadership and People Management and Business Management WSQ frameworks.
The senior management team and heads of departments, who are the primary conduit for championing productivity, attended the first workshop, “Contribute to the Design and Development of a Productivity Framework.” under the Executive Development & Growth for Excellence (EDGE) programme of the ES WSQ framework.
After the workshop, these senior executives embarked on different productivity projects using the M.A.T.C.H (Measurement, Analysis, Tactics, Continuity and Human Factors) model taught. M.A.T.C.H. is a prescriptive step-by-step Model that guides an organization to execute its Productivity initiatives in a structured and systematic approach. With the adoption of MATCH, Nordic was able to measure productivity, conduct productivity diagnosis, recommend areas of improvement, establish productivity goals and strategies, and develop a productivity road map.
Departments that embarked on productivity projects:
- The Logistics Department now has an online Coloured Management Dash-Board providing clear visibility on met and missed shipments and thus saving the manpower for getting this information offline. It now takes half a day to review the overall progress of these projects instead of 2 days.
- A new Sourcing Department now ensures continuous focus on new suppliers, suppliers’ quality and delivery capabilities to streamline costs.
- The Quality Control Department, which implemented the tracking of Occurrence Reports (O.R.) through a complaints registry, has seen a slight reduction in external complaints from 10 in 2012 to 6 in 2013 and is continuing to drop.
- Human resources has introduced the Buddy System to mentor new employees. The system matches a senior staff with a junior staff to establish a conducive learning relationship at a personal level.
Overall, the changes have enabled the company’s management to have a better picture of deliveries through a very clear status report on each project delivery plan. Furthermore, it has facilitated decision making by senior management on the basis of a structured & regular forecast report. Esther Fong, Senior Manager of Nordic Business & Operations Excellence says “Our company embarked on setting the objective to aggressively meet the customer delivery dates in last year. Over the year, I become more and more convinced that the M.A.T.C.H. Productivity Framework is effective.”
Capelle Academy is an accredited training provider with SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG).
Capelle offers programs under the following WSQ frameworks:
- Leadership & People Management (LPM)
- Business Management (BM)
- Executive Development and Growth for Excellence (EDGE)
- Service Excellence (SVCF)
CAPELLE ACADEMY IS REGISTERED WITH THE COMMITTEE FOR PRIVATE EDUCATION.